Sunday, June 3, 2007

I'm speaking Spanish again...

Hola de Cuernavaca, Mexico!

I will be living here for the next 4 weeks, attending class 6 hours a day during the week, and traveling a little to see some of the sites near here. I was only in the US for two weeks before I jumped (well...more like stumbled bleary eyed and yawning...) into another airport to head out of the country. But I'm thrilled to be using and practicing my Spanish again and only hope it continues to improve during my time down here. I am living with a host family....though I think I really only have a host mom at the house but a lot of extended family and sisters who are older and married. I have my own room with two twin beds, tv, ceiling fan, floor fan, bright lights, perfect sized red closet, and WIRELESS INTERNET (which I am picking up from some company or house somewhere near my house). I must say, I am quite content here. Though it is very different from San Jose and Costa Rica. And I think some small part of me prefers the life I had there just because I had so much family interaction....but at the same time my host mom seems amazing and the house is great and I am so lucky to have the opportunity to experience a whole different culture. I have two other Americans living at the house, but both of them are older women and Spanish teachers, which is GREAT because that means we will be practicing a lot of Spanish and they can help me out with vocabulary and stuff when I have questions. But the even more exciting part is that I feel like I can almost keep up with them using my Spanish, granted I probably have a few more conjugation errors here and there because I am still working on that but comprehension wise I'm good. So that makes me very happy about how much I improved in Costa Rica and it is nice I am living with them versus other students my age who would probably not know a lot of Spanish and be more likely to use English often.

Today I got up, had breakfast, read one of the articles for my paper due this week, and then went on a walk with Jill (the teacher/student from UNO who is living here too). We decided to go look for a supermarket so we could buy some snacks for during the day if we get hungry since we will be eating breakfast at 8 am and "lunch" (which is really lunch/dinner) at 3:30ish. We went to ask our mom if there was a supermarket close and she goes "ya...Wal-mart". Yes. Wal-mart. We walked 10 minutes from our house to a Wal-mart. Crazy. A super Wal-mart none the less. And there is also a Starbucks less than 5 minutes from the house as well. I think we are going to go there to study or work on homework at least a night or two. I would love to sit there and work and see how similar or different the atmosphere there is in comparsion to the Starbucks that I study at in the US. We bought a couple things at the Wal-mart and then walked home for lunch. The rest of the evening we sat around chatting and then I came upstairs to work on my paper. I decided to turn my computer on to listen to music and on the off chance that I could pick up a wireless signal. And just my luck....I had two wireless internet options pop up! So I am really excited about having internet. I just have to make sure to not get on my computer all the time but actually get work done at night. Haha. I'll be good about it though because I really don't have a choice. I am going to be super busy, but at the same time it is somewhat nice to get back to a regular class and homework type schedule....and even nicer that I can adjust back to it while in another country!

Sorry, no pictures tonight but I'll try to get some uploaded tomorrow or in a couple days. And if you are reading my blog, can you please please pretty please leave me a quick note/comment to let me know you are and who you are and what is going on in your life? I LOVE LOVE getting messages. The blog even sends me notes to my email saying someone left me a message. I keep finding out about people who enjoyed my Costa Rica blog, but NEVER said anything to me! Luckily you have four weeks to make up for it. Haha. Love you all!!

- Chao -

7 comments:

Deb said...

Hi Laura,
It was good to talk to you on Skype tonight. Glad you are there & settled. The font is a little small & the background a bit busy for me! Have fun tomorrow & work hard. Love, Mom

Kathy Mark said...

Hi Laura! Glad you made it to ok to Mexico. Where is Cuernavaca located? We've been to Mexico twice (Cancun) so I haven't really seen too much of it, although we went out into the jungle to the ruins/pyramid. We just returned from vacation in the Hudson, Wisconsin - Stillwater, Minnesota area - on the St. Croix River - it is a beautiful area. It was just a short trip, but nice to get away. Take care and study hard. I look forward to reading your blogs! Kathy Mark

Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
Such a nice long blog note for us stuck here in the good old US of A!!! Glad you sound pleased with your home and surroundings. Don't go off by yourself, but have a good time, besides studying!! We are still sick, so no work for me tomorrow! 2 weeks is way long, I'm getting sick of it. haha Stay safe and see your soon. Love, Grandma & Leo

Anonymous said...

Hey! First off, yes, I am jealous that you are spending the weekend at the beach, lol. This weekend we are actually moving and I am not looking forward to it. Our new house wont be ready for another 6-8 weeks, so we will be living in an apartment in the meantime. Well I hope you are having an amazing time in Mexico..wish I was there with you.

Miss ya! your little

Anonymous said...

Hello..it is your little, again. I was just looking up where Cuernavaca is on the map, and I noticed it is actually about half-way between Mexico City and Taxco. Anyways, I dont know if you have a chance to pick where you visit on the weekends, but I really liked Taxco. It is a small silver mining city and they have really cheap, quality silver. The whole town is also neat b/c all the buildings look alike and it is built up on the hill. It is bed time for me now, ttyl!

alex oshima said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
alex oshima said...

righteous blog dude